Saturday, February 5, 2011

Aloha Kitty

When I lived in western New York state, I adopted a wonderful little cat that I named Heartley Boy. He looked a lot like this one. One of the spots on the side of his head was perfectly heart-shaped, hence the name. He was my companion for many years and he moved with me to California.

Because this was his coloring, whenever I see a white cat with black splotches like this, I think of my boy. I think he was part Siamese, as he was mouthy as all get out - in fact, I think that's why no one adopted him before I did. He talked more or less constantly in a loud, hoarse voice. But for loving, purring sweetness, there has never been a nicer cat.

This girl more or less owns the Kalapawai Market in Kailua, on the windward side of Oahu. Her name is Dot. We stopped at the Kalapawai Market for a cup of coffee to carry down to the beach and, napping in the back room was Dot, all decked out in her silk flower lei. She graciously accepts pats from strangers, then drops back to sleep. They have pictures of all their staff under glass on the counter, including Dot in several poses - yoga stretching, held in fondling arms, sitting pretty next to the supply of styrofoam coolers.

Hawaii no ka oi. Hawaii is the best.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger CatHerder said...

oh i love it..that made my day..and made me want to go back to hawaii as well ;-]

Sunday, February 06, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cat, welcome! It really is marvelous here - my umpteenth trip and somehow it never gets old. And Dot was a highlight, for sure!

Sunday, February 06, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I petted Dot last week.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home