Monday, February 7, 2011

Hawaii Calls

Because I spent eight years of my youth in Hawaii, both as a child and as a young adult, this place still feels like home to me. I haven't lived here in nearly 40 years but, like Mark Twain, I can never forget it.

He wrote: "For me its balmy airs are always blowing, its summer seas flashing in the sun; the pulsing of its surf is in my ear; I can see its garlanded crags, its leaping cascades, its plumy palms drowsing by the shore, its remote summits floating like islands above the cloud-rack; I can feel the spirit of its woody solitudes, I hear the plashing of the brooks; in my nostrils still lives the breath of flowers that perished twenty years ago." - Mark Twain, a Biography.

He never returned. I count myself fortunate that I do, as often as I possibly can.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I could sit on that beach all day long.

Monday, February 07, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

And the farmers markets are pretty good in Hawaii!
Paradise.

Monday, February 07, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, even a brief walk enhances my tan - all day might be a mistake. But it's unbelievably lovely and one is tempted to stay and stay.

Cookiecrumb, I plan to check out one or two farmer's markets this week. You'd love this place - warm all the time, even when it rains. We had a rainy day yesterday but I didn't even bother to take shelter during the showers - even the falling water is warm!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home