Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cutting Edge

This slicer has been in my cupboard for many years, but I hadn't used it recently. It took me nearly 20 minutes to figure out how all the pieces fit together when I dragged it out to slice some really, really thin roast beef for sandwiches. In the interim, I had also forgotten that one must push both green buttons (the other one is around the back) at once to make it go - safety precaution.

Once I had it all together and working, however, it did its usual great job. The roast beef, which began as a rather tough rump roast, was shaved so thin that it was tender and very rare. The machine also made short work of slicing my loaf of Della Fattoria Lemon Rosemary bread to just the desired thinness. The sandwiches made a great lunch.

Now, to wash this bad boy! Taking it all apart while carefully avoiding the wickedly sharp blade and making sure nothing nasty lurks in the cracks is the other down side and probably the reason why it had been so long since I had it out. Still, sitting down to perfectly rare, freshly sliced roast beef sandwiches was the reward for being on the cutting edge.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love these kitchen doodads but i do hate to clean them!

Tuesday, August 04, 2009  
Blogger julie said...

do be careful washing! i used to work at a restaurant where i had to clean the meat slicer at nite and of course, managed to slice myself...

Tuesday, August 04, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Yeah, I got one of them fancy slicers too. It works great, but, it is a lot of trouble to clean and store. A good chef's knife is the way to go. I can slice meat or what ever even thinner with the knife. Maybe not as fast.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, between assembly and cleanup, it only comes out of its lair once in a great while.

Julie, ouch!

Chilebrown, yes, but you have extraordinary knives! I need this fancy thing to get the same result.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009  
Blogger peter said...

Oh, man do I want one of those. The bresaola demands it.

Sunday, August 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home