Thursday, July 30, 2009

How I Got Creamed by a Bavarian

Long ago, when I was a young student, faculty members used to actually invite students to their houses for dinner. Almost unimaginable today, but it taught us important social skills while humanizing the profs. One spring evening, I was invited with several others to dinner at the Dean's house; he was a former Ambassador to Vietnam and his two Vietnamese cooks made a heavenly dessert, one that I have never forgotten.

It was made with fresh strawberries and cream, a molded dessert that tasted of the simple essence of the ripe, sweet berries. It was spectacular, but I've never again had a dessert even remotely like it. So, when I read the recipe for a Bavarian Cream made with strawberries in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I thought perhaps I had finally found a recipe that sounded like that marvelous, long-ago dessert.

It took four - yes, four - hours to make and I used:

4 spatulas
1 wooden spoon
2 sets of measuring spoons
1 blender
3 strainers
1 paring knife
4 bowls of various sizes
4 measuring cups
1 decorative mold
1 electric mixer, washed 3 times
2 whisks
and
1 pot

all to make one seemingly simple dessert. Not to mention the sieving, the whipping, the folding and the chilling. Whew! I felt like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards by the time that puppy was safely in the fridge for the final (yes, there was more than one) cooling!

Sometimes, it's better to leave memories alone and just savor them over the years. This may have been one of those times.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Woah. That's a lot of cleanup. Hope it was worth it.

Thursday, July 30, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Again, you prove that you are a better woman than I am. I love Bavarian Cream but never had the stamina to make it. I think I'll wait until I see it on a menu.

Thursday, July 30, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

Bavarian creams were very popular in my mother's day. I'm sure the versions they used were not so complicated as the one you Mastered!
I'm going to check out some of her recipe books this afternoon -- will follow up with you.

Thursday, July 30, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, come back tomorrow for the wrap up.

Nancy, I've waited 40-some years but it has never shown up on any menu I read - now I know why! Welcome back from vacay.

Kudzu, I'll look forward to it - hope your Mom found some delicious shortcuts!

Friday, July 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home