Saturday, August 1, 2009

Burbank's Creation

In fourth grade, I went to a funky little school called the Bentley School. It was housed an a rambling old multistory wooden mansion in Berkeley. Founded by two sisters, it still exists today, although it has moved and has become expensive now. Of the ten schools I experienced as we moved around in the Navy, it was the best and my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Vohs, was the best teacher I had, ever.

Mrs. Vohs was one of those ladies who made children want to learn to please her. She was very positive and upbeat but she never took any guff from us, either. When she learned I was bad at subtraction, she immediately formed a "Subtraction Club" in which the best students helped me to get up to speed
quickly in subtraction and somehow made me feel like I had gained admission to some desirable group by being lousy at math. Now, that's gifted teaching!

Mrs. Vohs also taught me about Luther Burbank and his many contributions to the world of botany; to this day, my favorite of his creations are nectarines. Easier and sweeter than peaches, nectarines are the best of all possible stone fruits. They rock as simple fresh fruit and, when you grill them alongside your pork chop, concentrating their sugars and striping them with caramelized goodness, they reach a stage of deliciosity that simply cannot be bettered in this life - and maybe even in Heaven.

Bless you Luther Burbank and thank you Mrs. Vohs!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

nectarines are my favourite stone fruit, better than peaches, no fuzz between the teeth!

Saturday, August 01, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Much to the chagrin of my relatives in Georgia, I prefer nectarines to peaches. And every now and then I look at the Wikipedia page for Burbank to refresh myself of which fruits are attributed to him.

Saturday, August 01, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I've been ignorant of Burbank until now, thank you. I always wondered who the person was that the Luther Burbank Center in Santa Rosa was named after! Nectarines and pork are a natural!

Sunday, August 02, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, one can peel peaches to avoid the fuzz, or rub it off, but nectarines are just so much easier.

Kailyn, what did we ever do before Wikipedia? Remember all those heavy, alphabetized tomes at the library?

Anna, you can also visit Burbank's house and garden up in Santa Rosa - it makes for a lovely visit.

Sunday, August 02, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I like to eat the peel, it's good for the pipes!

Monday, August 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home