Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jamie's Chicken Caesar

In case you missed the Jamie at Home show where he made this dish, I wanted to bring it to your attention. It is one of the three or four most delicious things we ate this summer.

It's the best Chicken Caesar salad you are likely to find.

Start by tearing up bread into bite-size chunks (Jamie used ciabatta - we've used leftover sourdough baguette), enough to cover the bottom of a roasting pan. Lay a single layer of whole chicken legs with thighs attached, skin side up, over the bread pieces. Lay strips of bacon across the legs and slide the whole thing into a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the thickest part of the thighs are pierced, the juice should run clear.

While the chicken and bread are roasting, prepare a Caesar dressing and wash the light green Romaine lettuce leaves. I deleted the show by mistake before I could write down his dressing so I made one from (my sometimes very faulty) memory. I crushed one big clove of garlic and mashed up one small anchovy with the back of a spoon (you can use a small sardine in lieu of the anchovy if you truly hate anchovies) mixing them in a small bowl until the garlic and anchovy are one rather divinely smelly paste. I added the juice of one half a large lemon and about a tablespoon of mayo, mixing all together. This makes about the right amount for two plates of the salad.

When the chicken comes out and is still hot, separate the meat from the bones. Dress the plate by adding a layer of the (now crunchy and deliciously chicken-y) bread, then a layer of chicken meat, then the salad on top, tossed with the dressing before mounding. Sometimes the bacon gets too well done to enjoy but if it's still good, you can crumble it over the salad or simply lay the strips on top. Grate a little good aged Parmesan cheese over the whole lovely pile and you've got a meal fit for the proverbial king - or emperor!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger The Stay At Home Son said...

HOLY COW!!! Many thanks for sharing this recipe, because I don't have cable (ergo no Jamie). I can't wait to try it! You had me at crunchy chickeny bread, and now I am bookmarking you.

Thursday, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Susan, welcome! I'm flattered that you want to bookmark Zoomie Station. By the way, I used to live in Rochester (well, actually Hilton, then Spencerport) so I'm familiar with Webster - and canning! I went to your site but couldn't leave a comment.

Thursday, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

I'm thinking that I may have to give this a try this weekend. I guess that means I need to buy some bread. I'm thinking a trip to Cheese Board is in order.

Thursday, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

I wish they would show more Jamie Oliver on foodtv. He is one of my favorites.Got a chance to meet him.He is as genuine in person as on TV.

Thursday, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Wow! this looks and sounds incredible. I am going to try it for sure. Thanks for posting it--I think I missed that show.

Thursday, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Oh boy, this sounds delicious. I am going to have to get some range free chicken and try it out.

Thursday, September 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, lucky you live close to the Cheese Board!

Greg, that's fun to know - even MB likes watching him!

DebinHawaii, glad I could help - enjoy!

Nancy, I like the free range chickens the best, too.

Friday, September 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home