Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Solar Power

Why is it that as fuel prices rise and rise, it never occurs to the power companies simply to give up on fossil fuels and start working harder to harvest the abundant solar energy that beams down upon us from a loving sky every blessed day?

They give us all kinds of "reasons" why but I'm not buying their logic - if we put men on the moon many moons ago, we can certainly design solar collectors that make the whole enterprise cost effective.

Sheesh, I can make a great pitcher of tea in less than three hours using nothing but water, tea bags and the sun's energy - it's there for the taking, people! Not one scintilla of fossil energy was used to convert my dried leaves into thirst-quenching, non-carbonated, anti-oxidant heaven. If I can perform this miracle any sunny day, why can't Exxon-Mobil or Chevron see the light, literally and figuratively?

P.S. I wrote this just to use the word "scintilla." Is that a wonderful word, or what?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm leaving this comment just to say "chinchilla."
:D

Tuesday, May 20, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

OK. So I'm a little more sad. Because my great aunt, who passed away a few years ago, used to make the best sun tea.

And "chinchlla" made me think of "Chowchilla" but that's a whole different story. And now they have a music festival out there each year. I assume the audience is too young to remember.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Sun Tea - oh the memories of hot summer days visiting my mother's family in the deep South. I would hate to leave a cynical comment on your blog, Zoomie Dear, but do you suppose that the big oil companies don't harness solar power because there's not enough profit in it? That couldn't be the case, RIGHT?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb - Godzilla, Mozilla.

Dagny - see above and make some sun tea in your great aunt's memory!

Nancy, of course, you're right, that's _exactly_ why they don't but my point is that they _could_, if only they would!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home