Sunday, May 18, 2008

Slug Fest

Look at my poor mangled bean leaves! What were pretty, healthy, heart-shaped leaves are now half-chewed and distorted.

Almost every day, I throw another snail or two out of the garden but still I come out each morning to find that the slugs had the gastropod version of a Roman orgy while I was sleeping, oozing in to rasp away at my bean leaves and to engage in hermaphroditic sex.

So, today, I declared war.

I went back to Annie's Annuals, this time on a day when they were open, and asked for advice about slug bait. It's called Sluggo - the name cracks me up. Anyone out there remember Nancy and Sluggo from the funnies?

Luckily, there's an organic version of Sluggo so I bought a box and scattered some around my sad little seedlings. Tonight, the snails get their comeuppance! I'll lie in bed chuckling darkly and listening for their frustrated cries as they encounter my pelleted, blue-green vengeance.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Never antagonize anybody with Irish blood or a Navy background. Never get between a woman and her fava beans.
Chianti anyone?

Sunday, May 18, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

I am glad to hear that someone is getting some use of Annie's. It would seem like just the place to go for organic slug bait. Hopefully you are now snail and slug free.

Sunday, May 18, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Nasty slugs and snails. Why don't you pop down to your local Starbucks and pick up a big bag of their used coffee grounds, sprinkle it all around your bebe plants and bingo, safe plants. The slimy ones don't like to slither over the gritty coffee grounds - works for us!

Monday, May 19, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, right on! But, no favas - they are just plain greenie beanies.

Dagny, so far, so good - they can ooze around the edges but they can't get to my happy plants.

Morgan, that's a brilliant idea! I will check them out. I don't make coffee at home often enough to generate enough grounds but Starbucks surely does! Thank you!

Monday, May 19, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

My Mom used to put little tuna cans of beer out with the lip of the can at soil level and the slugs would drown in it.

Diatomaceous earth is another completely organic remedy.

Monday, May 19, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, I've heard of the beer solution but the diatomaceous earth is an interesting idea - but very bad for people if inhaled, I understand...

Tuesday, May 20, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Sawdust also works, but does not smell as good as coffee!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I got coffee grounds as you suggested from Starbucks and they were free! Stand by for a post about that! :-)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you know Slugs and Snails can't cross copper? You can get some 4x4's from the hardware store (HomeDepot / Lowes / local) and staple gun some bare copper wire centered along one side. Set the wood into the ground about 3 inches with the wire side up. Not only will this keep the lillte buggers out, but it makes a nice border, and may help keep grass or other ground speading plants out. If you use wood chips or sawdust, use caution, many types of wood can suck nutrients from the ground.
( http://www.whyy.org/91FM/ybyg/ )

Tuesday, June 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home