Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mayon-ease

The artichokes in the market were just so beautiful this year that we had to buy more! Serendipitously, Molly's latest article in Bon Appetit magazine had to do with making one's own mayonaise. Since she was brave and tried, it, I figured I could, too.

Following her directions, which were pretty darn simple, I beat the egg yolk with the vinegar/lemon juice mixture, then added the oil drop by drop until the mixture got stiff, after which I could add the oil a little bit faster. It made a lovely, smooth, earthy, softly yellow mayo that was scrumptious with the steamed artichokes.

This one was made with olive oil and a mixture of lemon juice and vinegar - next time, I'm going for all lemon juice and I might try a milder oil for things that won't stand up to its fruity smell and taste. But, with spring artichokes, MB and I agreed it couldn't be bettered except, just possibly, by melted butter with lemon!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yay!
Wow, you did it by hand; I do mine with my immersion blender in a tiny, tall cup.
Next time, to cut down on the outright olive-oiliness, you can use half olive oil and half something mild.

Saturday, March 29, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Isn't home made mayonnaise marvelous? I started making mine years ago, using Julia Child's recipe. I don't make it very often because I sure don't need the extra calories but there is nothing like it on all sorts of things. I add extra garlic if I'm going to do a vegetable mix and it's also utterly sinful on chicken and fish. I rather like a stronger olive oil but I know that's not to everybody's taste.

Saturday, March 29, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, good idea to mix the oils - I like the olive oil with the artichokes but it didn't sound appealing, for example, on a turkey sandwich!

NamasteNancy, yes, this was a revelation for me - so lovely and quite different than my standard blue label with the blue lid kind. I like your garlic twist, too.

Saturday, March 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home