Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Add A Cube Of Lemon

If you are a frequent reader of this blog, you will undoubtedly remember that I'm always improvising because I frequently don't have all the ingredients I need for a certain dish and I'm too impatient to wait until the next day to tidily assemble everything I need. 

But no more!

At least, not when it comes to lemons. When a recipe calls for fresh lemon juice, as this one for a filling for apple turnovers did, I'm ready!  I just popped a cube into the other ingredients as they were cooking, and it melted quickly to join the fruit juices in the pan.

A little while ago, I bought a whole bunch of lemons, juiced them, and froze the juice in ice cube trays. Each little cube is about one tablespoon of the acid I use most in recipes. Even when vinegar is called for, I often substitute lemon juice - I like the light, tangy, fresh tartness of lemon.

Heloise, I'm not. But I am inordinately proud of this little kitchen tip. So, when your recipe calls for lemon juice, add a cube and congratulate yourself on not having to run out to the store.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

What a great idea. I love the Meyer lemon and it has such a short season. This year I will freeze it. Thanks.

Thursday, October 10, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

Love lemon, in and on everything. Great tip.

Thursday, October 10, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, especially good with your idea of juicing Meyer lemons for the future.

Diane, me, too!

Friday, October 11, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home