Monday, October 7, 2013

My Boyfriend's Back!

My boyfriend's back!  We had broken up a few months ago. I was tired of his unwillingness to take out the ashes and he just didn't light my fire any more. So, I threw the bum out, dusted off my hands, and found a new love.

The new guy was bold and big. That Big Boy generated a lot of heat. 

But, I found myself wistfully thinking of my first love. His soft, round green cover. His stainless steel table. His deep charcoal storage bin. Those cute little hooks that hold my tongs. His ash cleaner, so easy and so tidy!  His economy.

And we were comfortable together. Maybe it wasn't so exciting as with the Big Boy, lacking that spice of danger and novelty, but it was peaceful.  Predictable.  I know that sounds boring but, when you're talking charcoal grills, it's really sweet.

I ran into my pal Dr. Biggles in the hardware store and, as we stood talking, I remembered that he had taken in my first love and given him succor after our breakup.  Biggles had cleaned him up and fixed his ash catcher. He even got the vent closers to work again.  And it was Biggles who had introduced me to my current boyfriend, praising him to the skies.  Biggles had expressed envy when I brought the Big Boy home.

Maybe, just maybe, he'd be willing to swap!

His face lit up when I suggested it.

And that's what we did. Biggles brought my boyfriend back to me in the back of his big white pickup truck and we hefted the Big Boy into its place. Biggles drove off with a jaunty wave and I went out to the deck to welcome my boyfriend home. 

Biggles cooked on the Big Boy that night and pronounced himself deeply happy.  I roasted a chicken with my boyfriend the next day and rejoiced.  Win-win!  I guess I'm just a stainless steel kind of gal, rather than cast iron.

13 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

All parties are satisfied and happy. I love it when a plan comes together. A-Team reference circa 1983-87.

Monday, October 07, 2013  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Hilarious -and with a sound track as well.

Monday, October 07, 2013  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh no! We still haven't used ours yet. We haven't grilled a thing this summer.
What a sweet story. You an' Mr. Biggs. Happy ending.

Monday, October 07, 2013  
Blogger kudzu said...

Everyone should have a Biggles in one's life. What a happy solution to that romantic problem!

Monday, October 07, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, wasn't the A-Team fun?

Nancy, glad you got a chuckle.

Cookiecrumb, why no grillin'? Not even on your little smokey?

Kudzu, wow, I didn't know you were reading my blog. Thanks for the comment!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Hmmm, I told you so.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Blogger meathenge said...

Good Morning!

Sometimes it takes a few steps to the side to see what's dear to you in life. Thankfully your grill didn't go far and all is well today. Thank you for the grill, both of them! I learned tons over the last 8 months, more to come for sure.

xo, Biggles

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, yes, you did. But, I couldn't have fixed it myself, so it went to the right place to be rehabbed.

Meathenge, good morning! It all worked out for the best. So glad you are enjoying the Big Boy!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Blogger Toons said...

Re-kindling with your fist love is sometimes a SMOKING affair indeed. Congrats!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Anonymous Jann said...

Big Boy was never your friend. Glad to see you have your Best BBQ back!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

Sweet story. Glad your first love is back.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

True love triumphs again! Well done!

Thursday, October 10, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Toons, when it's right, it's right.

Jann, thanks, it feels good.

Diane, these things have a way of working out...

Katie, should have known I had a good thing when I saw it!

Thursday, October 10, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home