Monday, September 23, 2013

Strazzberry Scones

I usually make scones with only one kind of filling - currants or berries, whatever I have on hand - but this time I had just a few raspberries and just a few strawberries, plus a Meyer lemon, so they all went into the scones. I'm calling them strazzberry scones.

I used Molly Wizenberg's excellent recipe, as I always do, keeping things in the family so to speak, adding the lemon zest during the mixing stage and berries at the very end of the kneading stage.  I quartered the strawberries but left the raspberries whole. They all got a little squished during those last few kneads, but it didn't diminish their flavor at all. And the lemon zest added a subtle little kick that was only noticed after the sassier berries had had their say. 

The tops were crusty and a little sweet, as I sprinkled a tiny bit of coarse sugar on each one after glazing and before popping them into the oven. The insides were moist and chock a block with berries. 

Probably my best scones yet. Strazzberry. I can dig it.


6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

oh yum. anything with fresh berries!

Monday, September 23, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, yes, and the best is the berries themselves, just plain! :-)

Tuesday, September 24, 2013  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I've only made savory scones... but these look wonderful. I love berries in breads.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katie, I'm intrigued by the idea of savory scones. What flavoring s do you use?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh yeah now I'm hungry!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, go make some scones! :-)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home