Friday, September 20, 2013

Smokin' Seafood

My Beloved is very fond of scallops, but he mostly has to eat them when we are out in restaurants, because although I loved them as a child, that love waned to downright aversion as I grew older. Not sure why - maybe I OD'ed on them as a kid?  Anyway, we found some really beautiful big plump ones the other day and I agreed to plank them for him alongside some salmon for myself.

I haven't done nearly as much planking this summer as I usually do - the weather, frankly, has not been very cooperative. And my new grill doesn't get as hot as the old one did, so the planks don't smoke as much as they used to, giving a fainter taste of smoky goodness. 

Having said that, he virtually inhaled these scallops, humming with pleasure the whole time. 

If you haven't tried planking yet, then I haven't been doing a good enough job as a proselytizer!  All you need is some untreated cedar shingles, of which you can buy a lifetime supply very cheaply at a lumber yard. Be sure they are untreated as you don't want fire retardant in your smoke. You can also ask for any sample pieces they have in case you don't want a whole bundle - sometimes they will give them to you for free. 

Place a plank big enough to hold your food on the grates over a hot fire until the thin end begins to blacken and smoke. Then lay your scallops (or salmon, chicken, other fish, whatever, skin side down) on the plank, close the lid of the grill, and let 'er rip for about 12-15 minutes. When the juices congeal and the fat along the skin side of fish is sizzling, it is done.  If you've cooked scallops, just pluck them off the plank with tongs; if it's fish, run a spatula between the skin and the fish, lifting it cleanly away and leaving the skin stuck to the plank.  Don't bother to save the plank - just throw it away. Easy peasy.

Smoky and sweet, the scallops were all he had hoped for and my salmon was moist, tender, smokin' and delicious, too.



4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I love scallops too but since I don't have a grill, content myself with simply cooking them in a pan with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. I add herbs and a sqeeze of lemon at the end.

Saturday, September 21, 2013  
Blogger Diane said...

Both the fish and scallops sound lovely. I have only had planked fish in a restaurant, but have not tried it myself. We do have a grill, but I seem to have lost interest in using it. Our boys will grill for us when they visit, so it becomes a nice treat.

Saturday, September 21, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'll have to remember that for some rainy February day when he's craving scallops and I don't want to drag out the grill.

Diane, I don't grill often, either, especially with the new grill, which isn't as easy as my old one was. I like the smoky flavors but it's a bit of a hassle.

Sunday, September 22, 2013  
Blogger Unknown said...

I prefer New Orleans Bar and Grill they have a delicious seafood items, fish, shrimps, oysters everything is perfect..
www.neworleansbarandgrill.com/food-menu.html

Monday, October 14, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home