Friday, October 11, 2013

A Rare Treat

Given our roundness, you'd never know that My Beloved and I are not big dessert hounds. Oh, we like dessert and we often have it when we are out, but I rarely make any. If we need something to round out a meal, we have a favorite brand of low-cal, low fat ice cream bars that we turn to.

We were invited to have dinner with the Newlyweds, who are now back from their honeymoon and starting to feel social again.  Of course, they were still very moony-eyed and lovey, but they were able to tear their gazes away from each other long enough to cook a fabulous meal for us. Jeff is actually the cook in that family - and he's a wonderful one.  He had had a marvelous pork tenderloin dish at Deetjen's on their Big Sur honeymoon that he reproduced for us in his own kitchen.

Wishing to contribute to the feast, I asked what I could bring and Sari allowed as how a dessert would be welcome. So, looking at what I had on hand, I decided that apple turnovers would be good with a little ice cream. 

I made them with Molly Wizenberg's recipe, but since I had not quite enough apples (and none of the types she recommended) and one ripe nectarine, I decided to use those in a sort of summer-into-fall combination. I use DuFour puff pastry for things like this - it's made with real butter and it's easy to use, keeps for a long time in the freezer and always bakes up light and flaky. 

We had a splendid evening of laughter, wedding stories, wedding pictures, honeymoon anecdotes, hugs, kisses, and dogs under the table. The apple-nectarine turnovers were a hit but, honestly, I think anything would have tasted great with four friends in such a good mood. A rare treat, indeed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Nothing better than four friends (and their furry ones too) gathered around the table with great food, stories, and friendship. And I can almost taste the goodness of that beautiful turnover.

Friday, October 11, 2013  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh yeah! I would like one of those for breakfast.

Friday, October 11, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, thanks - that's just the kind of comment I was hoping the story would elicit. :-)

Greg, I did have one for breakfast the next day and it was just as good as the night before for dessert.

Friday, October 11, 2013  
Blogger AphotoAday said...

Delicious photo! Well, at least this is a feast for my eyes--I no longer can enjoy (without a resulting gut-ache for 2 weeks) anything containing wheat or sugar. Consider your photo d-e-v-o-u-r-e-d.

Monday, October 14, 2013  
Blogger Zoomie said...

APhotoADay, it was a feast for the tongue, too. Sad for you, but happily there's plenty of other yummy stuff in the world.

Monday, October 14, 2013  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home