Monday, November 5, 2012

Errand Day

The day after Hallowe'en, My Beloved and I had some errands to run. To the vet for flea meds for Cora. To the car dealership to diagnose a troublesome light on the dashboard of my car. To a local dentist's office to drop off our extra Hallowe'en candy - he was offering to ship it to the troops in Afghanistan. We had very few trick-or-treaters this year thanks to the untimely rain, so we had 'way too much candy on hand with which to tempt ourselves - the dentist's kind idea seemed like much the best solution.

After all that was accomplished and my forgotten purse was retrieved from the car dealership where I left it by mistake, we decided to chill out with lunch in Mill Valley.  My Beloved had heard that the venerable Balboa Café in San Francisco had opened a satellite bistro in Mill Valley, so we went in search of it.

We had a nice lunch (very, very rare burger for him, omelet of the day for me) with good, cheerful service in a restful and slightly elegant atmosphere. Really very nice. And, to go with my omelet, I ordered a side dish of kale slaw, just to try it out. I was quite pleased - the slaw was a combination of julienned dark green kale, purple cabbage, and fennel tossed in a lightly creamy dressing with a mildly sour kick at the end.  Garnished with walnuts, it was like a cross between salad and slaw, and a nice change from the usual pale slaws.

After lunch, we checked out the little bookstore in the center of town (really, more a cafe with a small selection of books on hand), then bought a chicken jerky treat for Cora in the pet store. Ambling back to the car hand in hand, we decided we should do more errand days together. Makes what might otherwise be a chore into an outing and Cora likes to ride along, especially when there is chicken jerky at the end.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Work and play a nice balance.

Monday, November 05, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a lovely day - and what a good idea to ship the extra candy to our troups. They certainly could use some sweetness in their lives. Glad to see that Cora got her treat as well!

Monday, November 05, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I like the sound of that slaw. And the two of you hand in hand, how cute is that!

Tuesday, November 06, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, he and I make a good team.

Nancy, we all got a treat. :-)

Hungry Dog, I'm going to try that slaw myself at home and, as for hand holding, I can recommend it, even at our advanced age.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home