Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lessons In Love

I am happy to be home. While I enjoyed my ten days with my sister once I was pretty sure she wasn't about to kick the bucket, I was glad to drive back to her son's house, surrender the car and GPS he loaned me, and board the plane for home. While I was staying overnight with him, we talked a lot about my sister and her care, the Meaning of Life, and other assorted topics that served to settle us both down after the crisis. We stayed up too late talking, but it was good for us both. Sighs of relief. Lessons about life and love.

And, tucked in amongst the important topics was a photography lesson. My nephew is an award-winning amateur photographer and, while we were talking about this blog, he taught me a new technique for taking photos of my favorite subject, food on a plate. His advice was, rather than using the closeup setting on my little point-and-shoot camera, to extend the zoom as far as it would go and move myself around to focus the shot. That way, the background can be blurred and the part you want in focus can be sharp.

Before picking me up at the airport, My Beloved had taken the time to drive down to our favorite lobster shack and had purchased for our dinner lobster rolls so I wouldn't have to cook on my first day home. He warmed the rolls, filled them with chunks of fresh lobster, and prepared our plates, then called me to come to the table and to bring my camera. Talk about lessons in love! 

So, here is the first picture I have taken using Rob's photography advice: My Beloved's way of showing his love. It's hard to tell if the background is suitably blurry since it's such a closeup, but his technique of zooming did work and I was pretty pleased with my first attempt. And very pleased to be home again.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Glad to see you back and happy all went well. I love that sandwich and the photo! Let me see your lobster roll :)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! Says the ameture photographer. The talks were the best therapy so far....

Tuesday, October 16, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Great shot! Obviously you are a quick learner.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks for the kind thoughts. Get thee to the Old Port Lobster Shack - it's worth the drive and the price.

Rob, thanks for the lesson as well as the therapy. All good.

Nancy, thanks! Means a lot coming from an artist like you.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012  
Blogger Diane said...

just catching up with you...so glad your sister is on the mend and that lobster roll shoot is gorgeous, especially how you captured the light.

Sunday, October 21, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Diane, thanks - good lesson from my nephew!

Sunday, October 28, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home