Saturday, November 3, 2012

Why Do We Live Here?

Originally, My Beloved moved here because it was close to his daughters - he wanted to make sure that they had no more than a 15 minute drive to visit him. Even though he and their mother were splitting up, he wanted to keep close and loving contact with his girls. When I came into his life, it was a natural for us to establish our household here where he had already settled and was happy.

It's not ideal - in a lifetime of moving, I have learned that no place is truly ideal. We have a huge refinery at our back door and traffic on the freeway is often heavy. We are a relatively affluent island in a large city of people struggling to realize the American Dream; it is sometimes sobering to live here. 

On the other hand, over the years, we have had lots of reasons to continue to live here. For one thing, it's cheaper than other places in the bay area. For another, it's a fun little community where neighbors know each other and business is conducted locally. In our tiny, three-block triangle, there are three churches, a playhouse, two antique stores (one Asian, one Western), two hairdressers, a day spa, a pharmacy, a yoga studio, a florist, two groceries, three art galleries, a library, a post office, a fire house, a community center, a huge natatorium, a dog park, thirteen restaurants and assorted other businesses.

The local playhouse sponsors a town-wide garage sale each Memorial Day weekend. We have a weekly farmer's market and monthly music concerts in the street during the summer. Hallowe'en is the old fashioned kind where kids can go trick-or-treating by themselves after a certain age. We have the Turkey Shoot at Thanksgiving (we parade a pet turkey around town, then have a shot of Wild Turkey whisky at a local bar) and a neighborhood Christmas party every year on Christmas day.  We even go caroling. It's not Currier and Ives, but it does have some traditional aspects that are somewhat unusual in California.

And, every now and then, we look out from our windows and see sights such as this, the north tower of the iconic bridge with the fog behind it tinted pink and lavender by the sun setting in a bright golden sky. A compelling reason to live here.


10 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love the "Turkey Shoot"!
Ha ha ha!
You came here in 1995? (Did I get that right?) Me, I was born here. Nice place.

Saturday, November 03, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

A lovely hymn of praise to a ver special place on the planet. I'll raise a shot of Wild Turkey to that!

Saturday, November 03, 2012  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Precisely why I am and will always be an East Bay girl. Been having fun over the last three years of getting to really know Oakland. The Point is high school memories for me and my friends who lived there are now scattered all over the world. It has always been a magical place.

Saturday, November 03, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you'd be great at the Turkey Shoot. Come on over on TG day! I got here in 1996. You are unusual - a native Californian. Most people here seem to be from somewhere else.

Nancy, well, you're invited to join the fun on TG day, too, although we likely won't be doing it this year as both daughters will be in town this year for TG.

Kailyn, I'm always interested that people in the bay area define themselves by East Bay, SF, Marin or Peninsula and seem to feel those are separate enough to merit differences. It's a unique feature of this area.

Sunday, November 04, 2012  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Huh. Don't think about it often but I think it comes from the fact that I have noticed that people are often reluctant to venture outside of whatever area with which they identify. I remember my shock at 18 to learn that one of my friends had never set foot in Marin. I have also given recommendations to others of places to go out only to hear, "Oh. San Francisco. I don't go there."

Sunday, November 04, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, I have had the same experience here, as if crossing a bridge is an impossibility. I'm lucky that My Beloved has lived here so long and worked all over the area, so he's comfortable going anywhere and does so with relish.

Sunday, November 04, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

What a view!

Monday, November 05, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, we are lucky and we know it. We knew it was special when we bought the house 15 years ago but we couldn't have known how much pleasure it would bring over the years. You should come over and take some really _good_ photos - I just use my point-and-shoot.

Monday, November 05, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

That view could make me put up with a lot of things!

I love California. Lived here for 37.5 of my 38 years--in the Bay Area mostly, but school in LA. The lost 6 months were spent in Boston, in case you're wondering. Not for me!

Monday, November 05, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, well, welcome home! I didn't know you were in Boston. One of My Beloved's daughters lives there and, like you, we prefer the bay area.

Monday, November 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home