Saturday, October 20, 2012

Centerpieces

I have always loved centerpieces. Perhaps it's because of my seven years working as a florist. Maybe it's just because I enjoy fresh flowers, an extravagance in Rochester, NY where the flowers are mostly imported and expensive - they are much more affordable here in California. Whatever the reason, I relish when I'm having company and can justify to myself the extra elegance of fresh flowers on the table.

Centerpieces don't have to be flowers, of course. Sometimes, I use a bowl of fruit or candles or seasonal things like mini pumpkins or Christmas ornaments or even small sculptures to decorate the table, but to my mind nothing beats a bowl full of blooms.

My sister sent these yellow sweetheart roses as a thank you for all I did for her while I was back east. I really didn't do that much, mainly helped her to make her escape from the hospital and drove her around to appointments and restaurants, but she was grateful and her gratitude took my favorite form. She knows I love yellow roses and that sweethearts last better than the larger hothouse roses.

So, when my old pal Jeff Jaques visited for a couple of days this week, I had a beautiful centerpiece for my table. I don't know if he noticed but I loved it.

What's your favorite centerpiece?

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Perfect roses.

Saturday, October 20, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, very photogenic roses, too.

Sunday, October 21, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home