Monday, October 22, 2012

Welcome Home

When my sister was taken ill and I flew from Boston, where we were visiting our grandchildren and their parents, down to North Carolina, My Beloved continued on our original vacation trajectory, visiting my Aunt Virginia in Rome, NY to glean family stories for the genealogy he is compiling and attending his best friend's wedding in Southport, CT.  He arrived home nearly a week before I did. Even though he had Cora for company, I think he missed me.

How do I know?  Well, consider that, in addition to the lobster rolls he served for my first dinner home, he roasted a chicken on Day Two. He is checked out in chicken roasting and justifiably proud of his expertise in this area.  He fills the cavity with lemon quarters and onions, drizzles olive oil on the skin, then roasts the chicken at 400 degrees F for about an hour.  Alongside, he puts potatoes and more onions, so they brown and caramelize in the chicken juices. Add some bright green asparagus to the plate and you've got a feast to behold.

His sweetness brought tears to my eyes - his way of welcoming one home is so dear. Feeds the heart as well as the stomach. 

4 Comments:

Anonymous jann said...

So sweet. Chicken and fixings, fresh flowers, and your lovely looking yummy lamb shanks. You should be feeling loved and comforted indeed.

Monday, October 22, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

That is totally awesome! Or rather - HE is totally awesome. I love reading about your relationship.

Monday, October 22, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh Sunday dinner! Dare I say the way to a woman's heart is through her stomach? Kudos to him.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Jann, I do, indeed - and missed! :-D

Nancy, he is, indeed. He's one in a million - or is that billion?

Greg, it is, indeed, at least it's the way to mine. :-D I did do the dishes, but that only seemed fair.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home