Monday, September 19, 2011

Gringo Churro

I made a chicken pot pie for the freezer and you'll read about that when it emerges for our dinner, but with the leftover crust I made a nice little snack to nibble with a cup of something hot.

All I did was arrange the leftover pieces of Star Dough on a cookie sheet, sprinkle them lightly with sugar and cinnamon (got a little too heavy-handed with the cinnamon on the big piece) and baked them in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes.

I could have timed them by the scent alone - when I noticed that rich cinnamon smell, it was time.

The buttery crust crisped and browned - it was like cinnamon toast with less bread, or a churro with less fat. I sat down with a cup of coffee and enjoyed the dual rewards of a tasty nibble and the smug knowledge that I have a good dinner tucked away in the freezer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

This sounds like my favorite way to make cookies! I haven't done that in years so now I have a been in my bonnet to go looking for that dough that you talk about. But I cheat along similar lines with filo dough- a bit of butter, a sprinkle of sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Crispy and sweet can't be beat.

Oh - and by the way, one of these days I'm going to do a big post on Southern Cooking for Californians. It's in process but now, there are so many art openings and events that I haven't had time.

Monday, September 19, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cinnamon and sugar. The only way to use leftover pie dough. My mom used to make pinwheels. Load up the dough with cinnamon and sugar, roll it up, and slice it into disks. A kid was fascinated.

Monday, September 19, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

That's the Chinese word character for....wait for it....Yum Zone!

Monday, September 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'm looking forward to your treatise on Southern cooking, but I can wait.

Cookiecrumb, now there's a sweet little memory. For me, it's blogging that brings forth those little jewels of family remembrance.

Greg, ba-da-bing! :-D

Monday, September 19, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home