Saturday, September 10, 2011

Channeling Nietzsche

As I was mashing three avocados with the garlic, onion, cilantro, tomato, lemon juice and hot sauce, the bowl went flying out of my hand, slipped off the counter and plopped face down with a crash and a splat. About half of the guacamole stayed in the bowl but the other half pancaked onto the kitchen floor.

Dirty words!

So, then the internal debate begins - do I scrape it up and throw it away as any decent person would do, or do I figure that I'll strengthen our immune systems by challenging them with whatever biological mysteries are lurking on my kitchen floor?

Does the Five Second Rule really apply? And, if so, is it affected by the length of time since the floor was last washed? Did Nietzsche actually know whereof he spoke or was he just winging it?

Perhaps you know us well enough by now to know exactly what we did.

We ate it anyway. It was delicious.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Like Vinney Barbarino said. I'm so confused! To eat or not eat that is the question.

Saturday, September 10, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

My five second rule (actually 20 or 30 seconds) is for dry things. I wouldn't have scooped it up. But my floor is a zoological microcosm, not to mention dust kitties and puppy hair.
Knowing you, the floor was quite tidy. But what chemicals did you clean it with? :)

Thanks for the lengthy, supportive, loving comment on my blog. Thanks!

Saturday, September 10, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am afraid that I would have thrown it away because my floor, while swept, is not mopped every day. I don't think that the five second rule is really accurate; in any case I don't trust it. Besides, I can always go out and buy more food!
You must have Cora well trained if she didn't try to lick it off the floor.

Saturday, September 10, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Well, we'd got the strengthening immune systems option :) Do it all the time, still here!

Sunday, September 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, if Hamlet had lived like us, he would still be here today with a hale and hearty immune system.

Cookiecrumb, no chemicals for floor cleaning here, just a little soap and water.

Nancy, Cora did lick up the last 1/8 of an inch. She's still alive, too.

Ms Mouse, Nietzsche was apparently correct. We four are living, breathing proof.

Sunday, September 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home