Sunday, September 4, 2011

Reubenesque

Tender, pink, corned beef, rather than pastrami - like a lady's cheek. Soft, creamy Taleggio cheese rather than Swiss - like soft, rounded limbs. Crackly wheatberry bread - can't think of a sexy descriptor for that.

No nasty sauerkraut.

Sizzle slowly in a buttered pan (rather than buttering the bread - that's too rich) until the cheese runs out and the bread browns and crisps (the low heat is important - otherwise the butter burns before the cheese melts).

Wait two minutes after plating before taking your first bite, or you'll scorch your tongue.

A masterpiece of a lunch.

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

MMMMMMMM good! I sub in coleslaw for the sauerkraut. I think that is a Rachel sandwich but there are some many good variations. Also a big fan of the Ruebenesque :)

Sunday, September 04, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I love the idea of cole slaw instead! I'll try to remember that for the next time.

Sunday, September 04, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I like the coleslaw idea too.
Really pretty, Zoomie! Nice, tight shot.

Sunday, September 04, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I like corned beef and pastrami. A little smoke changes the married name of corned beef. I would prefer swiss and that is only my and your preference.
Sauerkraut is a different animal. I never liked it till I had some fresh from the farmers market. Fresh cabbage with a tart salty singe with carrots and spice.

I think your sandwich sound yummy and maybe even cole slaw would work. "A masterpiece of a lunc".

Sunday, September 04, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I'll have mine with the sauerkraut but hold the cheese please :)
We're undergoing a bit of a Reuben fad here in Australia, and for this I am glad.

Sunday, September 04, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, thanks. My camera has such amazing range for a little point-and-shoot.

Chilebrown, my preference would have been for Swiss, too, but there was none in the house. Needs must, and it worked!

Ms Mouse, no cheese? Mind-blowing omission. I may have to try that. ;-)

Monday, September 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home