Thursday, August 25, 2011

Change Of Seasons

Although I wouldn't say we've actually had a summer this year, it seems that we are already headed for fall. Our foggy weather has darkened each morning for weeks and kept our temperatures down roughly ten degrees below normal.

Here in the West, we don't have the brilliant red and burgundy leaves of the eastern fall, but we get our share of yellows and oranges and, as brighter cultivars are developed and planted, we are even seeing a sprinkling of those colors, too.

I was surprised, when walking home from Sunday breakfast in the village, to find leaves already turning to fall colors as we walked along. Normally, our color waits for very late September or early October to begin showing up.

I know we still have some long, warm days ahead because our warmest weather comes in September and October, and the bright fruits and veggies in the markets will cheer us for a good while yet, but here's the first little hint of short days to come.

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Make it warm!

Thursday, August 25, 2011  
Blogger Kinda Like a Chef said...

Crossing my fingers you guys get a lot more warm weather! We definitely need summer to keep on through Sept and Oct down here. I only just harvested my first tomatoes this week! I have tons more, but they are being very slow to turn. It can't be fall yet!

Thursday, August 25, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I have vacation for the next month and I hope it warms up a little. Thanks for being my number one fan.

Thursday, August 25, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Pretty. Oh, boy, I ain't ready for fall.

Thursday, August 25, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I'm making daily sacrifices to the weather gods, but so far it's not working.

Kinda, I'm praying for some warm weather in Sept and Oct - maybe if we all pray together...?

Chilebrown, it's easy to be a fan of yours. We had a Black Dragon tri-tip for dinner this evening (from Barron's in Alameda) and I thought our dinner guest was going to cry it was so good. I used your indirect method again.

Cookiecrumb, me, neither! No matter how pretty!

Thursday, August 25, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

And over our way leaves are budding, the bulbs are flowering and the jasmine is out :)

Friday, August 26, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, I can see that a home here and one in Oz would be ideal for staying always in the sweet part of the year. Enjoy your spring!

Friday, August 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home