Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nacho Aficianado

I count myself as a bit of a nacho expert. I love nachos and I have eaten more plates of them than the average person. There's something about all that melty cheese, beans and guacamole over crisp corn chips - I think it's brilliant.

Cousin Jan and I took a day off from swimming last Friday and decided to go window shopping and out for lunch. The day was foggy and chilly and the sun didn't even shine until around 2pm and even then only briefly before dodging back behind the incoming fog bank. The idea of stripping off and jumping into a pool just wasn't appealing, so... we didn't!

Instead, after poking through a bunch of shops in the Rockridge area of Oakland, we sat down to fish tacos and nachos at the Cactus Taqueria. It was noisy and bustling, clearly a family sort of place. We ordered from menus on the wall and were called some time later to pick up our meals.

My nachos were pretty darn good. In addition to the required ingredients (beans, cheese, chips), this plate had chopped tomato (actually nicely ripe!), fresh guacamole, and slices of puckery green olive and fiery jalapeño. There was also a sort of salsa bar where one could choose one's own favorite toppings. The plate was generous, too - Jan and I worked our way from opposite sides and still couldn't finish it all.

While not perhaps the very pinnacle of nacho creation, it was a solidly good plate at a very reasonable price ($5.50 at this writing). This aficianado would happily return.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Nachos are our snack of choice while filling out the census form. Ours never looked quite so spectacular though!

Sunday, August 21, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I changed the Village People's song to I wanna be a nacho-nacho man. Come on sing it with me! Oops too much caffeine this morning.

Sunday, August 21, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love 'em too. Zoomie, do you ever make your own at home?

Sunday, August 21, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I grew up a couple of blocks away. Cactus is okay but for a real Rockridge treat go down a couple of blocks and have a College Avenue burrito. After you are finished go across the street and have an irish coffee at Mc. Nalleys to wake you up.

P.S. Ms. Goofy chose me at our first meeting at Mc.Nalleys.

Sunday, August 21, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, the homemade ones are not usually so fulsome, are they? But lovely anyway.

Greg, ha-ha! Me, too! Nacho, nacho woman!

Cookiecrumb, yes, we do, when we have all the makings. I used to use bean dip but now usually like "real" beans.

Chilebrown, what fun that you grew up in Rockridge! It's probably my favorite part of Oakland. I'll remember the College Ave burrito recommendation for the next time I'm there.

Monday, August 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home