Saturday, August 13, 2011

French Week

This seems to be my week for things French. First, my trip to the city to see the Stein family exhibit of (mostly) French artists at SFMOMA. Then a friend recommended and I purchased a copy of "The Paris Wife." Yesterday, when My Beloved came home to find that we had a power outage, he suggested going to see "Midnight in Paris." And, right next door the the Albany Twin theatres, where the movie is playing, is Rendez-Vous, one of our favorite French restaurants.

You'd like Rendez-Vous. It serves French bistro cooking, as opposed to haute cuisine. Bistro cooking is peasant food that has migrated to the city - paté de campagne rather than paté de fois gras. Lots of stews and soups. It's homey food, for the most part, a little hearty and almost always served with wine, usually the house red or white, rather than vintage wines. It's not fancy, but the food is solidly good. And when the #%*!ing fog won't go away for weeks on end, it's very welcome.

It's often less expensive food, as well, and Rendez-Vous embraces that tradition. My daube, their signature dish, was $17, as are the rack of lamb, the steak frites, the mussels and frites, and several other entrées. I don't think anything is over $20. The daube, and My Beloved's chicken with mushrooms, came with mashed potatoes. The stew also had tender carrots and little crisped onions. The house red was fruit-forward and smooth - it goes down easily.

While we were at dinner, My Beloved suggested that we go to Paris to celebrate my 65th birthday next year. I think it's time I brushed up on my French, but I do know how to say "Oui! Oui!"

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

So good looking. When I saw the mashed potatoes, I knew what I was having for lunch. Cranky is very happy.
We got to get over to your sweet restaurant.

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

The prices are great and the food looks wonderful. The electricity should go out more often.

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, they do a nice job - plain but well cooked. How were your spuds?

Greg, maybe I can arrange for more power outages in the future!

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'll be blogging the mashed taters soon. Very good, they were. Yoda says.

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

How exciting! Paris!
I love French bistro cooking, wonderful, flavourful, hearty stuff. And not fussy.

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, looking forward to those mashers, I am.

Ms Mouse, we are bistro fans, too - we aren't sophisticated enough to really appreciate haute cuisine and we hate those minuscule little portions on a huge plate. :-)

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Anonymous JANN said...

Paris? Hawaii? Tough choices.:)
Worth celebrating your BD wherever you go!

Saturday, August 13, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

JANN, since you went to Belgium for your 65th (and Paris)... :-)

Sunday, August 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home