Friday, September 9, 2011

Cheating

I won't blame you if you take one look at this, read a little, and go away in disgust. I'm really cheating here - too simple a dinner for a whole blog post but it was so darn good that I want to write about it anyway.

More a reminder than an actual description. Next time you do a pork roast, do two things. One, fire up your charcoal grill. Two, once the coals are ready, separate them in two piles, insert a drip pan between them, and cook the roast by indirect heat.

Ours was a funny little rolled roast from Marin Sun Farms (they feature pork from a local producer), neatly tied in an elastic net - a pork snood. It cooked for just about an hour and emerged smoky and juicy, with just enough fat to make it flavoricious in that satisfying, down-home, porky way. It was one of the better meals I have cooked this foggy summer - I had almost forgotten that a charcoal grill can be used even when it's chilly and overcast.

So, no recipe, no additions of any kind, other than s & p at the table.

No wonder you are digusted with me. Just phoning it in.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Simple and tasty rules! Good photo too.

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger meathenge said...

Ya know, it's not all about "what did you do?". It's all about what you didn't do. Celebrate the meat!

xo, Biggles

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Gorgeous. Looks like you left the snood on during the roasting. Did it leave a flavor?
Meathenge liked it!

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm not at all disgusted - just sorry that I don't live closer so I can invite myself to dinner. Like Greg said, simple and tasty. It's more difficult than a good cook like you can imagine - plus it will make another great chapter in that book you are writing. Right?

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

We are so lucky in that we can "Q" all year long. At the BB-Q University we grilled everything from the salad to the cobbler! To the chef, Cheers!

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks, my camera does all the heavy lifting.

Meathenge, well, welcome back, my friend! So good to see your moniker!

Cookiecrumb, nope, no flavor from the snood, although it was elasticized in some way. Left a fun pattern on the roast.

Nancy, what book? ;-)

James, do tell about BBQ U! Where did you attend that? Sound like fun.

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger meathenge said...

Heh, I have a moniker. I have a moniker, and I have fresh lard.

xo, Biggles

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

What are you going to do with the lard? Whatever you make, I want some.

Friday, September 09, 2011  
Blogger meathenge said...

I haven't figured out yet, it was an impulse buy! Am thinking something pastry like, not sure yet.

xo, Biggles

Saturday, September 10, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

Check out this site with a review of the BB-Q U
http://culinarytravel.about.com/b/2011/06/13/bbq-university-broadmoor-recap.htm
Colo Sprngs is a way cool area too!
We have lots of pics if you want to see'em

Sunday, September 11, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

MeatyMan, I hope you'll share the results.

James, wow, that looks really cool! I like the idea of doing it at a posh resort, too. I've been thinking that when all my house guests go home, I'd like to have a bloggers picnic at my house - maybe you'll bring those photos, too!

Sunday, September 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home