Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Like An Eight-Day Clock

One of the best things about a big ol' pot of soup is that you cook once, then rest on your laurels. You might adjust the seasoning or tweak it a bit for variety, but the basic work is done and you can get on to whatever else you need to do.

After that first meal, I leave the covered pot on the stove and just reheat the whole thing when I'm ready for the next serving - I don't even refrigerate it.*

I figure that as long as I bring it to a boil and keep it there for 10-15 minutes, any nasties lurking in the pot will be destroyed. I haven't poisoned anyone yet and it makes the soup taste soooo good when it has had all that extra time to mingle. Like a good cocktail party, everyone has a chance to meet everyone else and they have all made connections.

This time, I added some kale leaflets to this soup that I made a while back. I had never used this curly kale before; when I tasted it raw, it was very green and a little bitter. I'm pretty sure this is the stuff our mother forced us to eat when we were kids. But, immerse those frills in a pot of soup for 10 minutes of serious simmering and it turns into a whole different character. It softens and sweetens while retaining the ticklish texture that makes it so interesting.

The best thing about a big ol' pot of soup is that you can keep it going like an eight-day clock.


*Professional fool in a closed kitchen - do not attempt this at home.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

I hope you are talking about a one day period of not refrigerating your soup. Soup usually does taste better the next day. Once it is cool it goes in the refrigerator at our house. "You haven't poisoned anyone, YET"

Wednesday, April 27, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I have to say...refrigerator.:)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Do you need me to buy you one of those little dorm refrigerators? You could keep it in the garage.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

I'm with you Zoomie. Reheating for 15 mins will take carer of any naughty bits that chose the wrong place to hide out. Besides if the pot is in the fridg and cold how can you put tonights leftovers in it?

Wednesday, April 27, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, thanks for the sage advice. I promise not to serve you any soup chez moi.

Greg, and to you, thanks, as well. Same promise as I gave Chilebrown.

Cookiecrumb, ditto. It's not for lack of space; it's all about the flavor.

James, I see you and I have the same philosophy toward soup - keep adding!

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Darn, I was trying to get rid of my rusty old dorm fridge!

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I don't have a square inch in the garage for it - filled with my car and all My Beloved's samples. Thanks, anyway.

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, don't worry. Just kidding.

Thursday, April 28, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home