Thursday, April 28, 2011

Again With The Butty?

Are you getting bored with closeup photos and hyperbolic verbiage about the same damn sandwich day after day? If so, too badsky, because I'm not getting tired of eating it.

I found the brown sauce. Turns out "brown sauce" in the British Isles is the same (or close) to steak sauce here in the colonies. So, off I went to my local upscale supermarket to obtain my very first ever bottle of A-1. My friend the butcher had to show me where it was kept - only two bottles on the lowest shelf in the sauce aisle, 'way down by the floor. I think they were a little embarrassed that they even carry it for peasants like me.

I took it in triumph to the checkout, along with my free-range, local, organic chicken and other assorted snobberies.

At home, I fixed my fourth bacon butty, this time with a dollop of brown sauce oozing out. Perhaps if I was raised with steak sauce, I would have appreciated it more but I'm a simple soul and I tend to like simple foods. I actually prefer my bacon sandwiches with just the butter and the toast. Still, I'm happy I tried it.

I have read that, in England, it's traditional to have a block party on the day of the royal wedding where all the neighbors sit down together and have a meal at tables that are set up in the middle of the street and draped with British flags, a celebration for all who were not invited to Westminster Abbey. I'm very tempted to invite my neighbors to set up tables in our funny little alley and, draping them in American flags (of course), sit down to a dinner of British bacon butties, complete with champagne to toast the royal couple.

It might be a way to use up that bottle of brown sauce.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I hear Jaime Oliver talk about brown sauce but have never tried it. My latest sauce for meat is hoisin. Nice little kick.

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Your post got me to thinking that brown sauce might be good, if illegal, on a banh mi sandwich.
Then I read Greg's idea about hoisin on meat. Insanely fantastic sounding.

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Brown sauce is essentially steak sauce, but not A-1. It's similar, but A-1 has too distinctive a flavor.

@cookiecrumb - Brown sauce on banh mi?? Sacrilege. I think it would clash with the nice cilantro/jalapeno/vinegary carrot flavors, no? Oh well... if you need a guinea pig, I'd be willing to try it :)

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that the bacon still seems funny. You may want to check out the results of this very scientifically conducted study on "The Great British Bacon Butty Sandwich."

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-great-british-bacon-butty-bacon-sandwich-247495

Thursday, April 28, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, hoisin, huh? Very interesting idea!

Cookiecrumb, I'm pretty sure I've never had a banh mi - maybe that will be my next enthusiasm?

Evil Empress, I'll have to try HP sauce next. I realize that the bacon is not exactly correct, but I like it. Have you tried the Niman Ranch Canadian "bacon?" You'd love it!

Friday, April 29, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Zoomie: 21st Century calling Zoomie! Time to move past your mother's cookbook. OTOH, you are doing a tremendous job trying new things, so congrats. (Sam's mum likes Daddie's brown sauce better than HP; don't know if we get that here.)

Friday, April 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you are helping me to discover new foods and techniques. I've read about Banh Mi but they somehow don't seem appealing... maybe I must try 'em before deciding.

Friday, April 29, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Brown Sauce, ickypoo! My BIL puts it on his fried eggs & bacon breakfasts, and I have to leave the room ;)

Friday, April 29, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

HP is the brown sauce of choice with all I know btw *shudders*

Friday, April 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms. Mouse, thank you for the tip, altho' from your description, I'm not likely to go looking for it. :-)

Saturday, April 30, 2011  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I do love a bacon butty! With brown sauce.

Friday, May 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home