Thursday, February 24, 2011

Embracing Winter

When we first returned from vacation in a wonderfully warm place, I resisted the return to winter. Because I had become acclimated to Hawaii's balmy climate, I had trouble getting warm and even adding layers, jacking up the thermostat or getting under the covers to read didn't seem to help as the cold seeped into my bones. The constant rain was a downer, too.

But, at heart, I'm a lover, not a fighter. What's the point of resisting the weather, for heaven's sake? It just wears you out and it doesn't change the weather one iota. So, I decided on the one sunny day since we returned, to embrace the winter and the possibilities for heavy sweaters, wooly socks and hearty dinners that it affords.

Swiss chard steamed in garlic butter, so deep a green that it reminded me of the mountains in Hawaii. A nice, thick lamb chop as a reminder that spring is just around the corner. Kabocha squash (the other half of the soup and curry one), whipped with a generous thumb of butter, as warming on the plate as a summer sun.

After this dinner, my toes were finally warm and my outlook was finally bright. Let's hear it for winter!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I made my "almost curry" last night and while it was tasty, it wasn't quite what I wanted so I'm off to get some real curry spices (recipe and results on my blog). Your recipe for chard sounds delicious; I've had a hankering for greens so that's what's for dinner tonight - along with more of my "almost curry"

Thursday, February 24, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

My gosh, that's beautiful. At first, I thought the squash was a bright, eggy omelet.
And I'm with you on getting the most out of the season. We'll be braising a lamb shank tomorrow.

Thursday, February 24, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I can't wait for winter, it's eating time :)

Cookie, just 1 shank? For 2 of you? O my, the restraint!

Thursday, February 24, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mouse: The shank is T-Rex sized (hind leg, I think). It feeds us for days. There will be shepherd's pie.

Thursday, February 24, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, My Beloved introduced me to Swiss chard and I've been a devotee ever since. Just melt a little butter in a wide pan, press in a clove or two of garlic and add the chard leaves with just the water that clings to them after washing. Over medium heat, move them around as the bottom ones wilt, exposing the top ones to the garlic butter and the heat. When they have all wilted, they are ready - less than 5 minutes!

Cookiecrumb, the colors of this dinner were really singing. That squash especially.

Ms Mouse, and we can't wait for spring! Human beans are never satisfied, are we?

Friday, February 25, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home