Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Copycat Curry

You've seen this before, and rather recently, too. My copycat curry that I stole from Peter. Lovely stuff, especially when it's cold and nasty out. You can clicky the link if you want the recipe.

But, it's not the curry I wanted to tell you about today, it's the curry powder.

Now, I know that one can make one's own from various spices and that, if one is a truly dedicated foodie, one does. I don't. No matter what that says about me, I am fine with the ones I can buy in the store. I've used Spice Islands for years - I love that heavy, musky, rich flavor.

But I have a new love now. Having run out of my usual brand, I rushed down to the local market and discovered that they carry an organic brand of spices with the cutesy moniker of Spicely. They come in small containers, so it's easier to use them up before they lose potency and the curry flavor is even better than my previous love. No salt is added, either, which is good for our blood pressures. The flavor is strong and rich but not too spicy, rather like my previous brand.

I guess I could have taken a picture of the little plastic container but doesn't the copycat curry look more appetizing?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Are we on the same wave length or what? I'm planning a curry as well but I use the Thai curry pastes as the basis of my curry. I used to buy all the spices from Bombay Bazaar but it's closed! I don't feel like trudging across town to replenish my stocks so I'm cheating as well. I've got tons of recipes but I know myself - by the time I finish, it won't bear any resemblance to any curry in the world. But it will taste good. Today it's curry and tomorrow I'm fixing a big pot of greens.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I didn't know of this spice brand, thanks! Your food looks delicious; I must try the squash idea.

Nancy: Bombay Bazaar closed? Wah.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, it's the artist in you that always has a zillion ideas for how to change up/improve/tweak recipes. The students I had at SFAI were amazing that way - never short of new ideas!

Cookiecrumb, you'd like the squash as a basis for curry, or almost any highly flavored sauce. It's lighter than flour- or butter-based sauces, but just as tasty.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home