Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Awakening In Middle Age

Going through the freezer after our vacation, I found that our Cora-sitter had left us a present - Tater Tots™!

Now, to get the full impact of this gift, you have to know that both My Beloved and I had mothers who didn't believe in "convenience foods." Oh, they sometimes resorted to frozen veggies - they were, after all, housewives in the 'fifties - but mostly they made things from scratch and limited our intake of potatoes since both of us have been roundish since childhood. So, Tater Tots™ were definitely not on the menu. We were Tater Tot™ virgins.

Last night, we lost our cherries. We baked a bunch of those identical little dabs of industrial potato and ate them with our all-American menu of bacon burgers and peas.

And, they were good. Not great, not killer, not addictive, but we could certainly see why little kids relish them and why bigger kids come back for more. Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, the overall flavor (despite the seasonings and onion touted on the package) is of salted, fried potatoes. They were easy and they were a fun little treat that we will enjoy until the package is empty.

We have sinned. We have bitten the apple. And we aren't even sorry. Sex and Tater Tots™ are like that.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Toons said...

Come a little further into the dark side. Next time "FRIED!" Bwhaaa

Tuesday, February 22, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Tater virgins! Who knew? I have them on occasion and I zap them up with a sprinkle of paprika and some green onions. Looks like all our mom's were in the same boat with roundish kids - we had the no potatoes, no pasta rule in our house as well.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think they're wonderful (but I haven't had any since I was a Tiny Tot™, so my tastes may have changed). I've seen recipes for homemade... Tempting.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

James, get thee behind me, Satan!

Nancy, good idea to liven them up with other spices and flavors. They were tasty, just not fireworks.

Cookiecrumb, I'm enjoying trying new things and re-trying the old foods I hated as a child. Fun to challenge one's assumptions.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home