Monday, September 6, 2010

Harvest Time

Ah, the romance of the Harvest! All the farmer's hard work, finally and amply rewarded with Mother Nature's bounty.

Yeah, right.

So far, here's the single potato, in size halfway between a hen's and a quail's egg, that my four potato plants have produced. I dug it up after a trip to Luther Burbank's garden in Santa Rosa where I noted that their potato plants are no larger than mine but were producing spuds below the ground.

I was greatly heartened, since I have spent the whole summer first rejoicing when my little potato sets sprouted, then whining when they never got very big.

So, I dug one of my four plants up and, lo and behold, it had made a reasonable-size potato! Maybe not a prizewinner at the county fair but, hey, I'm not really a farmer, either. If the other three plants are as productive as this one, My Beloved and I may actually have enough spuds for a meal.

One meal. Oh, well.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You should frame that sucker! Precious Potato by Zoomie. One of a kind!

Monday, September 06, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm happy for you! They're not as easy as you'd think. That's a fairly admirable size, too. (Wait till you taste it: pure dirt, and of course, I mean that in a good way.)

Monday, September 06, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Looks like an underground cantaloupe.;)

Monday, September 06, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It's beautiful.
We didn't have much luck with spuds, except I keep digging them up, years later :)

Tuesday, September 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, it would have to be a shadow box - he's a fat little round guy.

Cookiecrumb, the "parent" potato was a good-sized russet. Junior is pint-sized.

Greg, okay, if you say so. :-)

Ms Mouse, I'm thinking I forgot the "hilling up" part that I have always heard about but just remembered yesterday. I tried that a bit with the remaining spuds, so I'll hope that works.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home