Saturday, September 4, 2010

Applesaucy


Homemade or store bought? Normally, I'd always say that homemade is the best, since I know what goes into the food when I make it myself and I can adjust flavorings to my own particular liking. However, when it's really good, storebought can be great, too.

A case in point. The first jar is applesauce that cousin Jan and I made together. We picked the apples off her very fruitful tree, peeled them on the comical hand-cranked peeler I got from Sally's kitchen that made us both laugh, cut around the livestock that had taken roost in a few of her unsprayed apples, cooked the apples down with apple juice to enhance the flavor, added very little sugar, crushed the softening apples with a potato masher to achieve the desired chunky texture, and bottled the resulting applesauce ourselves. Whew! At the end of the afternoon, we were tired but proud of our 15 glistening jars.

The second photo is of the jar My Beloved and I bought at the Happy Apple Kitchen as we were leaving. Darker and sweeter, it was still quite good. They must use a different variety of apples to get that rich color as the label states that there's nothing in there but apples, water and sugar. This jar required no peeling, cutting, cooking or bottling on our part and it complements our pork chops very well.

So, what's it to be? Storebought or Homemade?

P.S. I vote for homemade, as it was so much fun. Thanks, Jan!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ooh! Taste test.
I say go for the pride of home-canned. Must have been at least a little fun, right?
As for color, I wonder if a little extra time on the stove might get you there.

Word of the Day (don't think I didn't notice): Livestock!
dingdingding

Saturday, September 04, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

The home made looks nicer, paler. I suspect the other looks darker because of more sugar.

Saturday, September 04, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, glad you noticed and, yes, it _was_ fun.

Ms Mouse, I think you're right - caramelized color. But either will do in a pinch.

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I want home made of apple sauce and strawberry plese. Catahoulas's Yeah@

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I could meet you tomorrow morning at Catahoula, if you're still on vacay. Shoot me an email if you'd like to do that and I'll bring the jam and the applesauce.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, in this case, "tomorrow" means Wednesday, Sept 8th.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home