Tuesday, August 31, 2010

In For A Pound

We ate too much.

We definitely ate too much.

Even though I didn't eat half of my pulled pork sandwich, determined to save room for dessert, I still felt too full as we left the dining room at the SRJC Culinary Café.

The dessert menu was simply too tempting. How does one choose between upside down apple tart, peach shortcake, and a hazelnut gelato sandwich?

With growing awareness of our increasing middles, we decided to split a dessert. It was still truly piggy, but we couldn't resist.

This is just half, believe it or not, of our Peach Shortcake with Crème Fraiche and Fresh Berries. Oh, and Raspberry Coulis. Don't forget the raspberry coulis! This little beauty is shown on a saucer, so it's not as completely decadent as you might otherwise think but, believe me, it was still at least a venial sin.

The shortbread part was actually surprisingly light, with a consistency more like a pastry shell than true shortcake - in a good way. The fresh peaches and berries with the vanilla bean crème fraiche were plenty rich without a heavy shortcake to boot.

But, we still ate too much. Fuel for the tour of Luther Burbank's house and garden, and a good excuse for a long nap when I got home.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Shortcake...mmmm

Tuesday, August 31, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I can imagine sitting at the table with you as you succumb to dessert. I'd be fiddling with my napkin, gulping water, going without.
It does look irresistible, or should I say, just really good-looking.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oh, yeah...

Cookiecrumb, that's why you are slender and I'm not.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I just have appetite trouble; every couple of days I eat a bowl of ice cream!
And I think you're a fine-looking dame.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you're kind. After a long time of fighting my shape, I finally decided just to be happy that I'm healthy and still have most of my marbles. We both have appetite trouble, by the way, just the opposite form. :-)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home