Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fast Food

What do you do when it's dinner time and you've been reading Stieg Larsson's second book all day and can hardly put it down for long enough to eat, much less make dinner?

Here's what you do - you make fast food.

Assuming that you have all these ingredients in the house, which I did by happenstance, you first sauté some mushrooms and garlic in a wide pan, add some stale sourdough bread cut into cubes until they crisp nicely, sprinkle in some fresh thyme leaves straight from the garden (they make little snapping noises as they heat), drop in some cubes of lamb to brown quickly in the same pan, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon to lighten it a bit, add a handful or two of cherry tomatoes at the end just to heat them through, and serve the whole thing topped with romaine lettuce that has been tossed in balsamic vinaigrette.

Sort of bread salad with lamb. It was good but both My Beloved and I agreed that it could have been improved with a handful of goat cheese crumbles or a dressing more like Caesar. It needed a little tang. In any case, it was filling and it was fast, so I could get back to finding out what was happening to Solander and Blomkvist.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Yes,exactly :)

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Okay, this is how it ends.....
I wouldn't be that mean, but I know the feeling about not wanting to quit. I've read all 3.

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

wow wow wow

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Holy yum-yums that looks good!Food on the fly.

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Want to meet at a town meeting in Rodeo? An Author will be plugging her book about our town. The publisher is the one that does all the old pictures and stories about locals. Anyway, after'words', they are going to discuss the Rodeo Chili Cook Off. It is going to happen at 1130 am at Lefty Gomez field clubhouse. This is the same field we are going to try to uphold our chili champion title.

Anyway it it starts at 1130am this Tuesday and if you can not make it I understand.

I do need to hold a meeting at Catahoulas for jam.

Sunday, September 05, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, I knew you would understand.

KatieZ, my blessings on you for not revealing the ending.

Cookiecrumb, I thought so, too.

Greg, it's easy, it's good and, best of all, it was fast!

Chilebrown, I probably won't make the Tuesday meeting but let's plan that Catahoula meeting. I've got some applesauce as well as jam for you now.

Monday, September 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home