Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lunch With A Pal

Is it just a "girl thing" or do men like having lunch with their guy friends, too? Women, or at least women like me, love to have lunch with a same-sex pal. We talk and talk about things we'd never bring up if there was a guy at the table. My pals listen to my rants and joys and I relish hearing about theirs, too. We chew it all over over chow - relationships, politics, families - and feel nourished in more than one way.

A case in point: lunch this week with Sari at the Townhouse Bar and Grill, a restaurant on a back street in industrial Emeryville that began life as a speakeasy and a brothel during Prohibition. More recently, they have developed what I might characterize as an upscale comfort food menu that had several tempting dishes from which to choose.

I decided on their version of the Hawaiian plate lunch. It is an appetizer on their menu, but it was plenty for lunch. A scoop of sticky rice was surrounded by little bites of filet of beef with a sweet-salt teriyaki sauce and a chiffonade of green onions, topped with a pile of bright red ginger (pickled?) that added spice and bite as well as visual punch to the dish. The sprinkling of sesame seeds finished off a lovely taste treat. Sari snapped this photo for me with her i-Phone as I had forgotten my camera.

We shared one of the best Caesar salads I've tasted in a long time, a huge plate of truly crispy Romaine hearts with a tangy, garlicky dressing. We also shared a serving of their chocolate chip bread pudding swimming in a pool of caramel sauce - a few bites of this bliss-inducing stuff is enough to bring on a serious nap need.

And all the time we munched, we talked and caught up and generally enjoyed the communion of two good friends who share a taste for comfort food and for lunching with a pal.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Love Townhouse but haven't been there in years. Their deck is perfect for the weather this weekend.

Saturday, June 12, 2010  
Blogger Catherine said...

You have such a nice site here. I am so happy I found it!
Will be back soon!
Cheers~

Saturday, June 12, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Mr Brown tells me blokes like to lunch with their mates but are very, very careful about what venue they choose.

Saturday, June 12, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, you're right - the deck is perfect for a warm day!

Catherine, why thank you! Welcome and we'll look forward to your comments from time to time.

Ms Mouse, interesting - I'd love to know what their criteria are for the perfect venue.

Sunday, June 13, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, the venue cannot be in any way, shape or form, considered "romantic". Duffers.

Sunday, June 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms. Mouse, aha, I see. A sports bar would fit the bill, then?

Monday, June 14, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Men. Can't live with them; can't kill them.

Monday, June 14, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, Ha! I actually usually like men more than I like women. Easier to understand.

Monday, June 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home