Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grilly And Fast

How's this for a dinner that took less than 15 minutes to prepare?

I had been meaning to think about dinner prep all day but one delightful thing after another kept distracting me. A long walk with the dog. A visit from two friends we don't often see. A rest on the bed with My Beloved who was having a sinking spell after the morning's activities. A couple of hours of reading on the deck once the pesky gardener next door with the annoying array of motorized implements finally went home. Another walk with the dog and My Beloved. Now, we are ravenously hungry and dinner hasn't even been started.

So, turn on the grill to heat it. Pull the leftover chuck roast out of the fridge, slice it into two small steaks and paint them on both sides with Sartain's sauce. Put two cups of chicken broth and a pat of butter on the stove to heat. Cut up some broccoli into pieces that fit in a small pan with a couple of tablespoons of water. Clean and slice on the diagonal a green onion or two. Slap the steak on the grill. As the chicken broth boils, add a box of couscous and the green onion, take it off the heat and stir briefly. Leave the cover in place while it sits. Flip the steak. Turn on the heat under the broccoli; when it comes to a boil, lower the heat to low and put on the lid. Press the steaks with a finger - My Beloved's is still soft but nicely striped from the grill. Remove his to a plate. Fluff the couscous with a fork and spoon some onto MB's plate. Drain the broccoli and put half on MB's plate. Press my steak with a finger - still slightly soft but starting to firm. Remove to my plate. Spoon on a little couscous and broccoli. Pat a modicum of butter on the broccoli.

Ta-dah! Dinner, grilly and fast. For my next trick, Ladies and Gentlemen...

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I always read your blog before breakfast and get very hungry. I'm thinking about a tri-tip for dinner.Beefy!

Thursday, June 10, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Awesome!
I don't think I could do that.
And very pretty. Those tiny chickens peering out from below the steak.

Thursday, June 10, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg - tri-tip is always a winner. And thanks for the compliment!

Cookiecrumb, you're too modest. Of course you could do it, you just wouldn't want to. Too ordinary for you two - you have a taste for the inventive!

Friday, June 11, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

No, I love a naked steak. I'm impressed by your timing of all the foods on the plate.

Friday, June 11, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I find that more or less a daily challenge, plus keeping it warm while I take a picture!

Saturday, June 12, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home