Monday, June 21, 2010

Geography Lesson

On Facebook (before I retreated), one of the viral clips my friends liked to highlight is one in which several man-on-the-street American dolts are asked simple geography questions, such as "Can you name a country whose name begins with U."

After a lengthy pause, during which you can actually see their rusty mental gears trying vainly to mesh, t
hese hapless souls are likely to answer, "Yugoslavia" while the viewer is screaming out loud at her computer, "United States, you idiot!"

Sadly, I might have been one of those dolts - geography is not my strong suit. When I purchased these fricadellen from the man with the German accent at our Wednesday farmer's market, I asked him where in Germany he came from. Dresden. I had no idea where Dresden is.

I looked it up. It's over on the very eastern edge, next to Poland. Apparently, they have a tradition of making really delicious sausage patties there as well as very pretty china, because these fricadellen were quite, quite good. One might call them "heavy" but I prefer the adjective, "substantial." Made with pork, onions, bread crumbs and spices, they are rib-stickers. One feeds us both for dinner, sliced in half and served alongside some veggies and spuds. The man from Dresden recommended serving them with potatoes (preferably mashed) and sauerkraut.

They come vacuum-sealed, four to a package, already cooked. All we had to do was heat and serve. So far, we have enjoyed them for dinner and, the following day, for breakfast alongside some scrambled eggs. Although they are mild, they do have a peppery little zing that livens up their solidity. And, best of all, they taught me a small geography lesson.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sausage patties....mmmmm!

Monday, June 21, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Pre-cooked hamburgers sound interesting. I need to make it to your Wednesday market and check it out.

Ms. Goofy and I went to the Santa Rosa farmers market Saturday. It is a very nice market. It is larger than the Marin market. It was nice to see a different bunch of vendors.

Monday, June 21, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Did you happen to look up the fire-bombing of Dresden in WWII? Big historical event. Glad the city is alive and productive.

Monday, June 21, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

That's funny, the first country I thought of was Uganda, pop!

I was lucky enough to attend the Dresden event at some large museum in San Francisco, too long ago to remember the details. But at the time was big in to their history from hundreds of years ago. Shiny suits of armor and huge swords is all I remember. Also remember the photographs of what the city looked like after a nasty bombing during WWII. Amazing history.

xo, Biggles

Monday, June 21, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

(Biggles: I thought of Uzbekistan.)

Monday, June 21, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, come on over and get some of your own!

Chilebrown, the German sausage man makes links, too...

Cookiecrumb, no, I knew it was greatly damaged by bombing during the Second World War but didn't know it was specifically fire bombing. What savages people are!

Rev. Biggles, believe me, you are nothing like the dolts they interview in those clips. You could have come up with five countries starting with U in the time it took them to think of one wrong one.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home