Friday, January 8, 2010

Lucky Me

You've heard, no doubt, of the Luck of the Irish. I'm only half Irish but I got more than my share. I've always been the luckiest person I know, knock wood. I'm also a little superstitious so I don't toast people with water and when I learn that something promotes good luck, I try to partake. I wasn't raised in the South or by a Southerner - my mother was about as Yankee as it's possible to be - but I learned from my friends with Southern roots that blackeyed peas at New Year brings good luck.

So, at the New Year, when My Beloved took me to the city for a viewing of the hilarious and inventive stage adaptation of Hitchcock's "39 Steps," and to the Urban Tavern afterward, I ordered steelhead trout with blackeyed pea cassoulet to bolster my good luck for 2010.

It was a better combination than it sounds.

The fish had a highly salted, crisped skin that peeled back to reveal perfectly cooked, light pink flesh laid over a bed of braised Belgian endive. The cassoulet was made and served in one of the so-adorable, single serving Staub pots that are all the fashion right now. The blackeyed peas were beautifully tender and presented with bits of duck confit and a half rasher of very lean bacon as well as some meltingly soft carrots, onions and garlic. The trout was excellent but the cassoulet was a wonderfully fresh take on an old classic and was the highlight of the meal.

The play and the evening, shared with daughter Katie and her squeeze André, was delightful, the food was delicious and I was left to marvel once again at my good fortune, knock wood. Lucky me!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

I am the lucky one!

Friday, January 08, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

You got your own cheering section. Say hi to Buzz. You just reminded me we have not been to a stage show in ages.Dinner looks beautiful and hope it bring good luck

Friday, January 08, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

At first I thought you had got a Staub pot of your own. That would be lucky.
But yeah... sounds like you had a pretty good day. Good luck to you all.

Friday, January 08, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I'd always thought it was lentils that were lucky, but who cares ? Lentils, beans, peas, all wonderful stuff (esp when served with duck & bacon)

Friday, January 08, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Buzz, that's debatable.

Greg, live theater is amazing - such talent and such energy!

Cookiecrumb, I haven't seen a Staub pot in the stores although Le Creuset has some colorful little lidded casseroles that are tempting.

Morgan, maybe lentils are lucky in Oz?

Saturday, January 09, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I ordered my baby Staubs online, though Sur La Table is now carrying the stuff. It's funny how it has become trendy, because a few months ago you couldn't find them in any stores locally. They would shrug if you asked; now they're offering espressos to help you choose.

Saturday, January 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, this means you are a trend-setter. I knew it all the time.

Sunday, January 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home