Thursday, December 31, 2009

Inspiration Point

The other day, My Beloved and I were watching an episode of Jacques Pepin's newest series of fast food recipes. As I watched him core apples in his unique way and wash leeks, it occurred to me that while he was making an entirely different dish than I had in mind, I was planning to use some of the same ingredients.

Here's the result. I'm not quite sure what to call it, but it was inspired by M. Pepin. Maybe Pork Pepin?

Anyway, I browned two boneless, well-trimmed pork chops in a little olive oil in a wide frying pan over medium high heat, just to caramelize the surface of both sides, then added the chopped flesh of one apple and one leek (just the light green and white parts) to the pan and covered it to steam-cook, as that keeps the pork nicely moist while the apple and leek relax and get to know one another in the Biblical sense. When the meat was nearly done and the veggies were steaming in post-coital bliss, I added a splash of rosé wine that I had on hand (Lee Family Farm 2008, from the Carmel Valley) to wake them up and about two tablespoons of a Christmas gift we received from My Beloved's brother and his wife, Deborah's Kitchen Hot Cranberry
. This whole-berry sauce is spicy but not crazy, sweet but not cloying. We liked the gentle kick it gives, more a warmth than a true spiciness.

Topped the chops with the mixture of apple and allium, wine and cranberry, and served them with some bright green broccoli and the rest of the wine. It got the Beloved's enthusiastic nod of approval, and all because M. Pepin was my inspiration.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Yum. I will be doing my pork and fruit thing tomorrow.

Thursday, December 31, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Yum yum yum! I think I'll get some good pork chops and try the same thing. I've done something similar with sauerkraut and apples but the leeks and hot cranberries sound divine. But you know me and my love of the hot.

Thursday, December 31, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I'm knocked out!

Thursday, December 31, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

Do you have Pepin's book, La Technique? One of the very best!! You can learn all his trucs (a French term I adore) and apply them to whatever you cook, from now on. He is a hero.

Thursday, December 31, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Pork was on the menu last night but we ended up eating salad - so, tonight pork crown roast it is (with apples & leeks)

Thursday, December 31, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, lucky you!

Nancy, yes, you'd like this - and you might add even more heat.

Cookiecrumb, it was gluten-free and something you might even have made.

Kudzu, do have La Technique and a couple of others of his books but I love his soft French voice and watching his amazingly frugal movements. He's not flashy in the kitchen, just perfectly economical.

Morgan, sounds like a lovely way to start the year.

Friday, January 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home