Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sweetie Pies

When I was making the pecan pie for our New Year's Eve dinner with Sari, I had a little extra crust so I made two little tarts, one each for me and My Beloved, to enjoy the next day.  Tiny replicas of the larger tart, they were lightly sweet and loaded with pecans.

I made the pie from the same recipe that Naomi used a few months ago when she and Sam made us a marvelous dinner but, not being a huge fan of Karo syrup and having some real maple syrup on hand, I opted for the lighter sweetness and distinctive taste of the maple and I added another cup of nuts to the two cups called for in the recipe.  Oh, yes.  Oh, yes, please!  No nasty thick layer of too-sweet gel under the pecans, the big pie and the two tiny tarts were really perfect, lightly sweet, rich with nuts and barely hinted with hooch.  Truly sweetie pies, just right for welcoming a brand new year.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Looks so good you could wear it for jewelry.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010  
Blogger kudzu said...

Believe it or not, I hadn't checked the blog before we met today. I see that my little token of a gift went to the right person! Those tarts are seductive, and I adore maple with pecans. My grandson and I will have to bake some of those goodies!

Tuesday, January 05, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How divine that you have the tiny tart pans. Pretty as a picture.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I'd look good enough to eat!

Kudzu, yes, thank you for the pecan refill. Maple + pecans = East coast heaven.

Cookiecrumb, yes, I bought them for the maple sugar tart I make but use them for other things as well. I love the fluted sides.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I know not of this Karo syrup of which you speak, but your tweeks make me want to bake!

Wednesday, January 06, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cookie, when I make tiny tarts I use muffin pans!

Wednesday, January 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, it's corn syrup, very sweet and dark. These tarts were a little larger than muffin cups would make - about 3" across.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

OH boy, I wish I had a kitchen counter like that. I lay awake at night and dream that some day, some day soon I will be able to buy myself a new kitchen.

Am doing battle with that though, because I really want the Brady Bunch kitchen. You know, orange laminate counter tops, dark cabinets with white door pulls. Avocado kitchen appliances with a real wood fired grill right there!

I have an early '70s avocado waffle iron, I suppose it's a start.

The Rev

Wednesday, January 06, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Biggles: Come and get my cabinets. I'll buy you the white knobs. Will you please also take away the brown granite countertops?

Mouse: Muffin pans! What a perfect idea.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev, we are contemplating a kitchen update - shall I call you when the blasted counters come out so you can come and get them? They are the very devil to clean - the grout is always grungy! I'll have some dark cabinets (pure '70s Jacobean) that you can have, too, although the knobs are black. They can be switched out easily, however, and like Cookiecrumb, I'm willing to buy you white ones. :-)

Wednesday, January 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home