Monday, August 10, 2009

Broken Record

I sound like a broken record (for those of you who remember records, that is) - plank, plank, plank!* Seems like we plank just about anything and we always love the results.

This lovely chicken was cooked for about 45 minutes on a cedar shingle above the charcoal in our plain old Weber grill.

The thin end of the shingle starts to smolder during the cooking, producing a lightly smoky flavor and preserving the juiciness of whatever fowl or fish we plank. Summer is the perfect time for planking - it's easy, doesn't heat the kitchen and it produces the best flavor bang for your buck that you can imagine. The meat, even the white meat, stays wonderfully moist with this method, as well.

It bears repeating - plank, plank, plank!

*Please be sure to buy untreated cedar shingles at a lumber store. Sometimes, they will give you a few as a sample, if you ask nicely, before you buy a whole bundle. The bundle will serve you and all your neighbors for the foreseeable future but you can purchase the whole bundle for what you'd pay for about four of the fancypants cedar planks at a cooking store and these are easier - you just throw them away when the planking is finished.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Does the smell drive Cora crazy? I know it would me. During the summer, my next door neighbors barbeque often and the fragrance wafts into my back room, making me want to jump the fence and run away with whatever they are cooking.

Monday, August 10, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

The color is magnificent!

Monday, August 10, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

What I would give to taste that!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Do you use an indirect fire? Does 45 minutes cook the chicken entirely?
I am glad you are having fun with the Weber. The possibillities go as far as your imagination will take you.
Did you ever read when I cooked Cedar Plank Tofu on the Weber?

Tuesday, August 11, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I know that feeling - whenver anyone is barbecuing in our neighborhood, my nose beckons me to go visiting.

Greg, yes, pretty, huh?

Morgan, you can! Remind me to bring you some planks.

Chilebrown, no need to use indirect as the plank protects the bottom of the chicken from the flames and you actively want the shingle to smolder. Yes, it was a smallish chicken but it was done to perfection in about 45 minutes with a few minutes to rest afterwards. If I come to Fairfield this weekend, I'll bring you guys some planks to try it.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Hey Zoomie, Hope to see you this weekend. I have tried planks. My methods are different, but basically same results. Thanks for the offer, but no planks.(That was bad).

Wednesday, August 12, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, what a lovely idea but Australian customs bastards would take the planks away from us if we tried to slip them through (the restrictions are amazing). I am on the hunt for some local ones. I wouldn't mind popping a few in the bottom of the wardrobe too, cedar ones, keeps the moths out and smells wonderful!

Thursday, August 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, okay, but you're making a big mistake...

Morgan, oh, dear, such silly restrictions when, clearly, you can get cedar in Oz, so why not a few planks of American cedar? The mysteries of bureaucracy, huh? Oh, well...

Thursday, August 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home