Monday, February 9, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Cold

Who cares about the soul? I have a cold and all I care about is having enough tissues, enough fluids and enough chicken soup. I hate colds.

Luckily, I had some homemade chicken stock with chicken bits in the freezer when this particular bug bit me, so I added a handful each of chopped onion, celery and rice to that and simmered it until it was a comforting lunch. As you can see, I rather overdid the rice portion and while it was warming and tasty, it wasn't very pretty.

Until I had the idea to add orange zest, that is!

I figured that the Vitamin C in the zest would be good for me and the bright taste might actually penetrate my woefully stuffy nose. Guess what? It did! The flavor of the soup was immeasurably improved by the zest and, another time, I'd add bigger pieces while the soup simmered, just for that added kick.

I feel better already.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ohmagah! Wouldn't that be tasty, an orange-chicken soup? I'd add ginger too (and that would also be good for what ails you).
You are getting exceedingly clever with your titles.
Too bad you had too cook your lovely soup for yourself, while you're sick. Healthy hugs.

Monday, February 09, 2009  
Blogger meathenge said...

Gah !!! Diseases suck. I'll bet your disease is gone sooner than my hand cancer.

xo, Biggles

Monday, February 09, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, like the ginger idea and thanks for the healthy hugs.

Rev. Biggles, yes, diseases are no fun whatever! Feel better, Kiddo!

Monday, February 09, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Add orange to your next pumpkin (squash) soup, yummo.
I had leftover chicken soup for lunch today, because it's chilly enough for that sort of thing, thank goodness.
Get well soon!

Monday, February 09, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, many thanks, both for the get well wishes and for the orange-pumpkin idea!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home