Saturday, January 31, 2009

Busy Day Dinner

My Beloved and I tend to eat dinner on the early side, around 6:30 or 7:00; we are not the sophisticated sort who dine at 8:30 or later. However, when he has one of his sales managers in town, it's hard to predict what time he'll be home for dinner. The sales managers are all nice guys but some like to stop for a drink at sunset after a busy day, others prefer to hole up in their hotel rooms and get a little more work done. When MB sags through the door around 7:30pm, I know it's a good night for a quick dinner of poached eggs.

This time, I had a special treat ready. When I made duxelles earlier, I made extra so I'd have some on hand. Duxelles are an easy way to raise a ho-hum dinner into a pretty spiffy one. I just heated the duxelles in a small pan while the English muffins and the eggs cooked, spooned a little of their dark magic over the hot muffin halves and topped them with the eggs. We sat down to a mushroomy, shalloty dinner less than 15 minutes later and just minutes after that, he was flaked out on the bed, ready to relax for the rest of the evening.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Hey Zoomie, Ms. Goofy and I are going to Marin tomorrow mornin. We will be at the coffee booth at 8. Hopefully some other crazy kinda people will be there too!

Saturday, January 31, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Arrrrrrggggg, egg blood *faints dead away*

Saturday, January 31, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a clever and delicious idea!

Saturday, January 31, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Yeah we are pickin up the red bearded one. Marin tomorrow!

Saturday, January 31, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Poor Morgan.

Saturday, January 31, 2009  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I loved poached eggs - particularly at night (too lazy in the morning)and with the Duxelles - inspired~
'Fraid to admit we rarely eat before 10:30...
Habit we picked up from the Spanish when we lived in Andorra...

Sunday, February 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, rats! I didn't see this until 0800 this morning... hope you all had fun. Jealous.

Morgan, I keep forgetting that about you. Apologies.

Nancy, delish, indeed!

Katie, we get too hungry, such lowbrows as we are...

Sunday, February 01, 2009  
Blogger peter said...

There's just nothing about runny eggs on English muffins that I don't like.

Sunday, February 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, Amen to that!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home