Thursday, January 29, 2009

Doo Wop Dinner

My Beloved donned his football letter sweater. I wished I still had my penny loafers. What else does one wear to a Doo Wop concert if one doesn't have a poodle skirt?

Our pals Janie and Jack had invited us to join them to hear several Doo Wop groups from the 'fifties and early 'sixties, so we put on our glad rags and joined them for an early dinner before the concert at McInnis Park Club Restaurant in San Rafael.

I must confess that my expectations were fairly low for this dinner but I'm not sure why. I have eaten there before and had good food. I ordered the "Asian Beef" after inquiring what that meant and received one of the liveliest, juiciest cuts of teriyaki steak it has ever been my pleasure to enjoy!

This picture doesn't do justice to the creamy-but-not-heavy cole slaw, the truly-dreamy mashed potatoes and the cooked-to-perfection teriyaki steak. A slightly more elegant version of a Hawaiian plate lunch. I ate every single bite, complimented the chef, gathered up my hunky football jock and headed off to tap my toe to some lively music from my youth.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Can ya beat that? Even your food was doo wop era.
I've "avoided" that restaurant (like you, for no real good reason), but you just turned me on.

Thursday, January 29, 2009  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

I hope the beef is offered whenever we can get our calendars in sync for a rendezvous there!

MB

Thursday, January 29, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Is that a regular event there? April works down the road. Sounds like fun!

Thursday, January 29, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yes, very timely!

Buzz, I'm game - any time!

Greg, the Doo Wop concert was at the Marin Civic Center, nearby, but they do have special events at McInnis Park Club. We went to a Mexican evening one time, complete with a mariachi band that was loads of fun. But, then, I'm a sucker for mariachi music.

Thursday, January 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home