Monday, March 3, 2008

The Browndied Bits

I like cauliflower of just about any description - steamed, smothered in mustard and cheese, raw in snappy florets, dunked in hummus - you name it, I've loved it. I had not, however, tried roasting it until I saw a post from Molly over at Orangette about caramelized cauliflower a while back.

She's right, it's absolutely delicious that way, sliced thinly and slowly roasted. I decided to try roasting it still in florets, just to see what happens, following her simple recipe except for the slicing. Roasting heightens the nuttiness of the cauliflower and adds the bonus of the browndied bits, which are truly delicious, but I'd have to say this experiment needed more time in the oven than I gave it (patience is not my strong suit). While it was tender and had an added layer of flavor, it didn't get as downright rich as Molly's method produces. So, stop reading this and click on over to Orangette while I figure out what more to do with this batch. Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Cauliflower slowly roasted is the BEST way. The best. I squeeze a bit of lemon over it while it's hot, drizze with a bit of olive oil and just scarf the whole thing down. But I have also made soup with it, put it in a mixed vegetable salad and even used it for curry. I've roasted cauliflower with other root vegetables and tucked in tons of cloves of garlic among all the vegetables. Who needs more? Well maybe some wine and a bit of chicken and more wine and ....

Tuesday, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, I'm getting the impression that you really, really like cauliflower - another thing we have in common! :-)

Wednesday, March 05, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

LOL! And here I thought I was being subtle.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

Purée them with porcini (dried or fresh) and fresh milk for divine soup.

Friday, March 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home