Friday, February 8, 2008

Vitamin A on the Hoof

"Wow, this squash is to die for!"

Having heard about the merits of kabocha squash thanks to Tea of Tea & Cookies (a wonderfully written blog, by the way!), I headed to the store to find some, but no luck, no kabocha there to start my love affair as Tea has. However, I did find a nice alternative, already-peeled and cubed butternut squash, thanks to my local Andronico's store. I don't usually buy convenience foods but this seemed like such a time-, hassle- and cut fingers-saver that I broke my own rule.

I sauteed some minced onion in a little butter, then added that to the pan where I had been steaming some of the butternut cubes and cooked the two together with just a tablespoon or two of water until the squash was tender, then blended them with a tad more butter using just my electric hand mixer. I wanted a mash, but not completely smooth, rather like mashed potatoes, only brightly orange-yellow. A grind of fresh pepper and a little sprinkling of salt was all that was needed to make this a great way to get our Vitamin A for the day.

And, when My Beloved exclaims over the veggies, that's a definite bonus!

4 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

Kabocha is hands down the best. I use a $10 Chinatown cleaver to hack them open, then peel the wedges with a veggie peeler. The seeds toast nicely, too, or make a good gomasio.

Sunday, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, I keep looking but so far haven't found one! What's gomasio?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

It's a mix of sesame seeds ground with salt that's a popular macro seasoning.

Don't know why you cant find any out there... good luck. Whole Paycheck might have them, since they have everything.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, thanks - My Beloved has a blood pressure problem so I try to avoid salt but that sounds so good, I might have to make an exception. Love the "Whole Paycheck" moniker - you always crack me up! I did find a kabocha just this week, too, at the farmer's market in the Civic Center.

Friday, February 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home