Saturday, February 2, 2008

Sour As A Lemon

I can get pretty crabby when My Beloved is out of town on a business trip, especially a long one like this week. I don't mind a little time alone - after all, as a Navy wife I made it through six whole months by myself - but I've gotten spoiled and four days now seems like an ice age. I feel pretty sour, especially at dinner time when I settle in with a book and a bowl of pretty boring pasta for company.

So, there I was trying to read and twirl pasta at the same time and the paperback book kept closing in mid-twirl so I pulled my bowl of lemons over to hold the book open for me and inspiration struck!

Why not try a little fresh lemon juice on my plain, buttered pasta? So, I sliced open a small lemon and squeezed it liberally over the pasta. Wow, huge improvement! Then, I noticed the pepper mill also on the table and thought, "Hmmmm, and maybe some fresh pepper?" Even better! The "finished" dish, if you can call it that, was lively and rich at the same time, lightly sour and fresh tasting.

The phone rang just then and it was MB, just in time to share stories of his trip while I ate my Lemon Pepper pasta. Cured my sour mood entirely.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Sorry that you are missing Mr. Zoomie but delighted that you have discovered lemon juice on pasta. Another variation is to put a nice nippy warmed vinaigrette on pasta; I like mine with a bit of chili flakes and a whisper of anchovy. Yum!

Friday, February 01, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, Zoomie, you are ruined. Lemon on pasta (and for me it has to be spaghetti) is such a great secret.
I've got a post on that very subject coming up.
PS: Nancy -- anchovy is YES.

Friday, February 01, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, I'll remember that tip next time MB goes out of town on a business trip!

Cookiecrumb, I'll look forward to your post about lemon spaghetti!

Saturday, February 02, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I'd say that was serendipity but I'm not sure how to spell it.... I'm off next week alone... mon mari stays home with the girl dogs. I'll remember your Lemon Pepper Pasta!

Thursday, February 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, you got it right! Hope you won't be too lonely for ton mari! I'm actually coming to France soon, but to Paris rather than your neck of the woods! Any recommendations?

Thursday, February 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home