Friday, January 25, 2008

Wintergreen

I may have mentioned once or twice before about our love for Swiss chard. It goes with almost anything, is mild enough that even spinach haters love it, and sings when garlic is added to the pan.

My Beloved brought home a lamb steak, by way of the El Cerrito Natural Grocery, from the Atkins Ranch in New Zealand, not exactly local fare but at least pasture-raised. I had found a nice big bunch of rainbow Swiss chard at a different market so we combined forces.

The chard leaves were coarsely chopped after removing the thickest parts of the central ribs, then sauteed in the same pan where I had softened a clove or two of crushed garlic in some butter. The briefest of cooking is necessary with chard, really just enough time to wilt the leaves and toss them around in the garlic butter before nestling them alongside the grilled lamb and a few slices of Acme baguette (we like the sour one).

Swiss chard is a great winter (and summer) green!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember the very first time I had Chard...it was right out of my aunts suburban garden and it was heaven...just cooked with a bit of vinegar and salt. Tasty.

Friday, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mrs. I, interesting idea to spark it up with vinegar rather than smoothing it out with garlic butter! Different strokes for different folks, as they say!

Sunday, January 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home