Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Mother's Grapefruit Knife

Certain kitchen implements are so perfectly suited to their purpose that using them is pure joy; such is the case with my mother's grapefruit knife.

Unlike some modern grapefruit knives, which have coarse serrations and often on only one side of the blade, this little beauty has the finest of serrations all the way around the blade, which is perfectly balanced with the light wood handle. The gentle curve of the blade cuts grapefruit free from the sections without disturbing them - it is a pleasure to use and a pleasure to eat the virtually perfect fruit.

I so cherish this knife that when My Beloved's daughters wanted to borrow it to prepare food for a party they were having, I loaned it only with the stern admonition that it must be returned promptly the next day - and then actually worried about the darn thing so much that I retrieved it at the height of the party and tucked it safely in my purse before pouring my first glass of wine!

I can remember my mother teaching me the delicate art of grapefruit sectioning when I was about six years old; grapefruit was a frequent first course at our winter dinner table. One of those ladies who had the perfect sterling silver implement for everything, she even had pointed grapefruit spoons designed to get every little morsel - but gracefully! She would not allow me, even then, to do a sloppy job, insisting on a delicacy and perfectionism that I still value today.

Now, every time I'm carefully sectioning a grapefruit, I am back in my mother's kitchen with her bowed gently over my shoulder and her breath warm on my cheek, showing me how to make perfect grapefruit a gift to the family.

5 Comments:

Blogger julia said...

How lovely. Of all the things that I wish I had kept from the women of my family who have died, it's the kitchen equipment that I miss the most. Time spent in the kitchen is amongst the most precious, n'est-ce pas?
BTW The Someone has banned serrated knives from my kitchen since they're impossible to sharpen and he does like a sharp knife, which is why I sport many bandages these days!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008  
Blogger Sharona May said...

That is so true. Once my grandma mailed me a few of those La Creuset pans that she used for years. It had to cost her a fortune!!

Sharona May

Wednesday, January 23, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mouse, I'm with him in all except grapefruit and bread knives, each of which must be serrated.

Sharona May, I love that your grandmother sent you her pans - truly a gift of love!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I buy a grapefruit knife like the one in your picture? Do you know the brand? Thank you.
Jean

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Shana said...

I am searching for a particular grapefruit knife and I noticed this one looks similar to your mom's, with fine serrations. At Sur La Table, called something like "Things cooks love" grapefruit knife.

http://129.41.11.71/product/features/things+cooks+love/things+cooks+love+grapefruit+knife.do?search=basic&keyword=grapefruit+knife&sortby=ourPicks&page=1

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home